Saturday, July 31, 2021

Inuyasha Manga: 227 Vanished Presence

That's where I'm headed too, though less "into thin air" than Naraku, admittedly. We started packing yet again today, hauling in the plastic totes from the closet on our balcony so we can start dumping our belongings in them for a team of movers, and we're not exactly quiet about it. I've alerted my job that I'm going to start working from home again starting mid-August. My husband is on his computer setting up a pass for the toll he's soon going to have to drive through for his own job. I'm gearing up to let our apartment know that we'll be moving out soon.

Because closing for our new house is on August 13th! 😀😀😀😀

I don't know about THAT guy, but I know my personal escape is going to be on a little over an acre covered in trees a few miles out of town. Reminds me of my childhood in the middle of nowhere, and I'm LIVING FOR IT.

The hairball monster admits with more gurgles that it doesn't know any more than I do, which elicits an incredulous outburst from Kouga. The creature explains that it was separated from Naraku partway, so it doesn't know what Naraku was thinking afterwards. Considering Naraku didn't seem to run back into the castle to PACK before he left, where the creature gained consciousness, I'm just a tad puzzled by this statement. However, the local smart guy Miroku says that this thing doesn't seem to be lying, so I guess we're taking it at its word. 

Its extremely inconsistent with the depiction of previous events word. 

Inuyasha curses this useless information, and the creature just kind of gurgle-laughs at him for his lack of satisfaction in the matter. Cracking his knuckles, Kouga scoffs and says it can't be helped that this thing doesn't know anything. Reading the somewhat disdainful look on Kouga's face as potentially a sign of violence to come, Kagome calls to him questioningly. 

Gee dude, wanna turn down the frightening overreactions a little? Just a little?

Inuyasha and Miroku just stare at the rain of flesh falling from the massacre of the monster, speechless, but not looking disturbed like the women and child. Kouga himself hoists a lump of flesh up by the few hairs still attached to it, just as Mohawk and Two-Tone jog out of the surrounding trees shouting for him. He flatly notes how they finally caught up, tossing the lump of flesh at them, which Two-Tone catches with an alarmed squeak. Mohawk recoils from the flying flesh. Kouga tells them to memorize this scent, and get the wolves to remember it too, which begs the question: they didn't know that scent BEFORE???

Miroku supposes aloud to Kouga that he intends to use the wolves for a blanket search, something that he probably should have been doing to begin with? Maybe? And Inuyasha asks what the point of this could be, considering the wolves would have sniffed Naraku out long ago if they had the ability. This excellent point is completely ignored, for Inuyasha finds that when he was offering it with his eyes closed and nose stuck in the air, Kouga had stood himself in front of Kagome to grasp her hands and tell her he had to go now. Inuyasha demands to know if Kouga is even listening, while Kagome just kind of endures Kouga's totally unromantic talk of giving her Naraku's head as a present the next time they meet. She forces a smile, but inside it's a HARD no on her part.

Bye, you worryingly unstable weirdo.

Miroku approaches Inuyasha as he's picking himself up off the ground, saying it may actually be a good strategy to rely on Kouga's numbers. Inuyasha snaps at him that this is naive, asking why Naraku would throw away this monster with his scent all over it if his scent could possibly be a clue to his whereabouts, concluding this would be FAR too careless of the originator of the scent. Wide-eyed and shocked, Miroku makes a noise of astonishment, Sango looking on in surprise from the background. Come on, guys, I know you like to play like Inuyasha is a moron, but really...

Inuyasha reiterates that Naraku is confident he'll never be found, which Miroku acknowledges as a point, before asking him to go one. Inuyasha makes his own balking noise, and Miroku refuses to let him get away with it, asking him where he thinks Naraku has gone. Do you have COTTON in your ears, buddy? If Naraku is so sure no one is going to find him, why do you think Inuyasha can just GUESS at where the dude is? Miroku says he's asking for Inuyasha's thoughts, Inuyasha glares and tells HIM to think about the rest of it, and Sango whispers to Kagome that Inuyasha didn't think about the rest of it himself. 

Okay, fine. If RT wants to pretend that Inuyasha not having any idea where Naraku might have gotten to is in his conclusions about Naraku's confidence at not being found, she's allowed to frame it that way. It's HER story. Even if it makes zero sense. 

Kagome thinks that Inuyasha WAS correct in what he was saying, though, contemplating the place Naraku ran to as the place nobody can reach. Meanwhile...

Someone's been busy, I see. 

Kikyou's visits to places she's noticed give off an evil aura have turned up squat; Naraku's presence isn't here either, nor has it been anywhere else. She's walking along the edge of a sheer rocky bank of a raging river when she hears a feeble voice referring to her. She looks over and sees an old man reclining against the exposed roots of a tree. 

"And you look like shit, what of it?"

Kikyou peers at him a moment, determining that he's human, and he's at death's door. Profound observation, to be sure. As old men are wont to do, he starts telling Kikyou about his past - namely, that he did a lot of evil and wicked things in it. He lists murder, theft and arson, just to name a few, and says that his philosophy was just to live doing whatever he damn well pleased. But since he's gotten old and ill, he admits that he also got scared about falling into Hell. Kikyou kneels down next to him, asking if he wishes to be saved. I doubt he would be wasting his breath if he wasn't coming to that point, Kikyou.

Old Dude over here says he's heard of a place where even old sinners like himself can get some salvation. As Kikyou looks critically down at him, he states that he was traveling just to that particular place, but he's pretty sure he can't go any farther. Somehow, Kikyou needs this shit spelled out for her, because she asks if he has a request for her. No, he's just weaving this whole sob-story for no good reason at all. Carry on, lady, no quests to be found here!

This guy takes his whole-ass katana and shears off the ponytail he's cultivated on the back of his bald old head, holding it out to her. He says that he wants at least THIS part of him to get to that place he mentioned. 

A couple of sky transition panels later, night has fallen.

Kagome says that they'll surely find Naraku if everyone is searching. Inuyasha shoots into a sitting position to glare at Kagome and ask her what she means by that, and if she's relying on Kouga after all. At least HIS insecurity isn't manifesting in bursts of violence. Just bursts of pathetic paranoia. Kagome responds with a suggestion that he's jealous, and his hackles are fully raised; he hunches next to her looking like a defensive hound, and denies being jealous at all. Kagome seems... Unconvinced. 

They stare at one another in silence, Inuyasha sweatdropping and looking expectant in his anger, and Kagome just blankly blinks at him. With a slight flush, Inuyasha suggests they drop the conversation, and Kagome adopts an annoyed visage while she reminds him that he brought up the subject in the first place. Seems to me that they already dropped it when they stopped talking entirely, but maybe I just don't comprehend awkward quiet in a conversation anymore. Am I supposed to continue a thread that has culminated in a few seconds of uncomfortable silence? I don't know, I've always been a social idiot and Covid has just made that condition worse.

To top off this sundae of awkwardness, the next frame is wider to show that Sango, Miroku, and Shippou snoozing in his lap, are sat farther up the hill, and their stares are being added to the veritable convention of stares. In spite of how obviously unwelcome Miroku's encouragement is, he urges them not to worry about them and keep talking. Inuyasha tensely says that's enough already, and Kagome thinks she's had quite enough herself. 

In the morning, we get a great view of another set of generic forested mountains. A couple of old men marvel at the fact that Kikyou has brought the hair of the dead this far, and she explains that it was the last wish of a dying man. One of the men she's talking to says that he's heard a rumor of an area of purification on Mt. Hakurei, where a great Buddhist priest opened up a temple there, in which all sins can be purified...

Yeah, the strange feeling that I'm going to be sick of looking at this mountain long before it's done being a setting. 

So, what did I think of this chapter overall? For the second time, Kouga has been cast in a slightly sinister light, flying into a fit of disproportionate violence at the weak hairball creature. The ladies and child react with unease at this behavior, and there's a part of me that would like to label this as a juxtaposition between him and Inuyasha - a commentary on how Inuyasha's more "human" side to him makes him a far less frightening figure to their common love interest, and Kouga's "demonic" behavior here is part of the reason Kagome feels she cannot reject him outright even though she has no real interest in him. But there are no other moments building on this worrying behavior later in the series, nor is there an ultimate discussion between Kagome and Kouga regarding how he's more threatening than anything. Which is something of a shame, because it could have been an interesting element to add to the series as a teachable moment to any young men reading that beating up on weaker individuals is a HUGE red flag and they probz shouldn't do it. More's the pity.

What has been and is a repeated habit of framing RT continues in this chapter is portraying Inuyasha as this dunderhead incapable of real strategy or extrapolating the deeper meanings of events. There is no reason why Inuyasha's fair conclusions that Naraku must have hidden himself REALLY well in order to not worry about leaving behind obvious traces of his scent should be used to put down his intelligence, but somehow it's turned out that way? It really makes no discernible sense as it's laid out, unless RT is trying to imply that the only reason Inuyasha came to his conclusion is because he doesn't want to give Kouga's strategy any credit out of jealousy, which might have been a good punchline if the conclusion wasn't actually a perfectly reasonable one with perfectly reasonable logic. If his jealousy were meant to be joked about as his primary motivation, Miroku might have made a clever mention of that instead of some weird request that Inuyasha DIVINE Naraku's location despite the clear implications of the conclusion that Naraku had hunkered down somewhere no one knew about.

All in all, it's very clunky and unintelligible.

But, I will say I'm intrigued by how much HAIR and its personal identification qualities has factored in during the last few chapters, culminating in an old man's request to have his hair get to a place where it can be purified. His intent to erase all his ill deeds by putting a piece of himself in a special place is a rather SLY nod to Naraku's plan here, a natural mirror to Naraku leaving HIS hair behind as an indicator that he's still lurking just beyond the reaches of his enemies. As one regular man asks Kikyou to complete his pilgrimage to wash his slate clean, Naraku is leaving his refuse around with no care to its connection to him and his villainous history with the promise that he will not answer for his crimes. 

I'm kind of impressed given all the sloppiness in the rest of the chapter. One outta three ain't bad, I guess.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new house Writch! I wish you and your husband a happy-moving-into-your-new-house! 😊 (Sorry if this came off as awkward, I wasn't sure how to word it and this was the best way I could think of to say it in this moment. It's a joyous occasion and I wanted to wish you guys well for this new milestone in your lives. :^) )

    I do thoroughly suck at social interactions myself as I am autistic, so you're not alone in being a social idiot, I assure you. 😂 COVID has not helped me either. I still don't really go out that much these days even after being vaccinated.

    It can be kind of annoying sometimes that Inuyahsa gets unfairly dogged on (heh) as being unintelligent despite being completely correct in his logic and the conclusions he drew. Sometimes, yeah, you just don't fucking know and it is a lot better to just be honest about that than to try to concoct some incorrect assessment that will do far more harm in the long run in misleading you. Even if Inuyasha was motivated by jealousy/insecurity, his thought process and the conclusions he drew from them were still valid and reasonable, as you said.

    It reminds me of Jonouchi, where he gets put down as being dumb despite showing many instances of actually being intelligent, perceptive, and creative. Maybe it's a certain character archetype in Japan, the thick-headed stubborn and hot-tempered male teenager. RT and KT both try to have the narrative of their respective stories frame those characters in that way, it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am extremely excited and can't wait to get into a place that I have creative control over. And not to worry, that didn't come across as awkward at all, I understand you perfectly. :D

      I hear you on not getting out much even after being vaccinated, for sure. Having to switch between primarily traditional in-person socialization, to primarily remote, and then back again (and probably back to remote here pretty soon), is whiplash-inducing. No doubt it's even more chaotic for yourself, so I hope you've been able to find some balance in the situation and get a little social without getting overwhelmed.

      I'm not opposed to "the thick-headed, stubborn, hot-tempered teenage boy" per se - acting on impulse and not thinking things through is something that teenagers are known for, after all. Inuyasha and Jonouchi are great examples of this, as you pointed out, and they're great characters for it. I think where KT and RT go wrong is when they confuse this with stupidity in the sense that there are narrative judgments on the level of the characters' intelligence in general. Impulsivity and emotional outbursts cause us to make stupid decisions and do stupid things, sure, but they way these authors sometimes make them out to be indicative of how dumb at their core the characters are is irksome to me for sure.

      I mean, I get that Miroku is supposed to be the "smart one" in the group, but putting down Inuyasha in a nonsensical manner didn't really highlight that, lol! RT needs to just let her Inuyasha be a different kind of smart and stop relying on the archetype so much.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, I've been adjusting to things as best as I could. :^) I recently graduated college back in the Spring 2020 semester so I'm currently in the middle of applying for graduate school and working from home for the most part. I'm going to have to move once I get in somewhere, so it's going to be a difficult adjustment but I'll manage. I believe things will be okay. :^) It's definitely been weird. ^^

    Yeah, I think that even I kind of fell into that false association myself based on my own earlier comment. There are definitely different aspects and dimensions to intelligence, it's not as simple as it's often thought to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on graduating! And in probably the most difficult year to do so to boot! What are you going to study in grad school?

      I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things get easier and less weird for you as time goes on!

      I think everyone is kind of brought up to think that intelligence is more cut-and-dry than it is, and view people who are more impulsive than most as more "stupid", just as a judgmental shortcut. I've been known to conflate the issue on more than one occasion too, and in writing it can be a VERY easy shorthand so there's not a lot of philosophizing in the the text. It's just a bit of a shame that we've got a class of characters that are the "dumb" ones in their stories even when they have done objectively clever things multiple times in the narrative, lol!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, I really appreciate that. 😊 I am planning to study physics in graduate school, I am interested in studying the field of quantum gravity specifically. I'm still not clear yet on where I want to focus my efforts, if I want to go into string theory or loop quantum gravity. Right now I honestly don't know enough about either theory to have a strong position on which one I think may be right/wrong.

    I still need to learn quantum field theory in depth in the first place to have a solid foundation to even look at string theory and loop quantum critically and I taught myself the basics of general relativity during my upper-division undergraduate courses, but even my knowledge in that area is surface-level at best. Neither string theory nor loop quantum have any empirical evidence that's in favor of them though, so it's entirely possible, as far as I understand it, that neither could be right. Currently (or in the foreseeable future for that matter) it is impossible to conduct experiments to verify any of the testable predictions of these theories. The short of it is that these theories' testable predictions require us to be able to observe phenomena on the Planck scale, which is impossible for us right now. To be able to probe Planck scale physics, we would need to generate ~10^(19) GeV, which is 15 orders of magnitude higher than what can be generated at the Large Hadron Collider right now, which is 13 TeV.

    We don't even know right now empirically if gravity can be quantized as there is a hypothetical particle, the graviton, that would allow us to express gravity in those terms. However, no one has observed one and we don't have any means for trying to test for one right now, as far as I am aware. I attended a summer school on loop quantum gravity this year, but from what I understand, other physicists are trying to come up with experiments to see if gravity can be quantized at all.

    I have become interested in relativistic quantum information, which is a really new field that's emerged in the last decade or so. In particular, I am interested in the geometry that can emerge from entangled states. I think it may be promising to approach quantum gravity from this angle, so right now, I am trying to learn more about this. I attended meetings on relativistic quantum information online earlier this year and I am thinking of applying to programs that focus on research in this area. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go but I do think that it's promising.

    I want devote my life to study nature at the most fundamental level, I want to try to understand the foundational laws and principles that govern our universe. Sorry if this got long-winded but this is my life's goal ultimately. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know basic physics, so a lot of this is a bit over MY head, lol! But it seems to me that there is a LOT of ground to break in these fields. Getting into a program focusing on this would put you on the front-line of some cutting-edge experimentation, and that's so exciting!! There aren't a lot of theoretical frontiers anymore, so it'll be crazy interesting for you to get into an environment like that. Maybe someday you could be with a team that comes up with innovative experiments that bridge the gaps between what we can do now to test these hypotheses and and what we'll be able to do in the future!

      Delete