Monday, May 16, 2016

Yu-Gi-Oh Manga: 001 The God Puzzle

Let me start by saying that I can get a bit obsessive at times. I'll pick something up, whether a game, movie, comic, book, and refuse to think about anything else for days on end. It's pathetic and distracting, especially when I have other things that I need to be getting on with. Focus is NOT my strong suit.

So, you can imagine my annoyance when I started reading about this new Yu-Gi-Oh movie that came out on the 25th of April. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but I've always had a soft spot for Yu-Gi-Oh, and I've never read the manga, and since the new movie goes with manga rather than anime canon, maybe I should...

And that was my slow descent into madness. Over the past few days, I've been reading the manga, and I realize I have A LOT of things to say. A LOT. Most of them aren't the best things, actually, which makes me a little sad. I still really enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I've grown a more critical eye for writing and stories over the years since I even watched the show, and... well, let's just say it could have done with an editor LONG before it hit the page.

In fact, the sheer amount of very specific things I'd like to say, to this and more positive ends, are so numerous that I think it's necessary to go through this thing chapter by chapter. And where better to start than the beginning...


MangaHere has the whole Yu-Gi-Oh manga available, though the scanlations tend to vary in quality. I was skimming some later chapters to see what the overall picture was, and there are a few chapters I saw that were such poor quality I might not be able to interpret them all that well unless I hunt down some better scans. We'll cross that bridge when we get there, I suppose, because this scan seems perfectly fine for my purposes.

Except for the annoying habit the website has of refusing to load the pictures without refreshing anywhere from 6 to 10 times. This'll be irritating.

We begin with this lovely image of the game our main character will be playing this evening! I kind of wish starting with these illustrative tablets would continue beyond this point, because this one strikes me as a really fun way to reveal what the chapter or arc is about without giving too much away. However, this is the last time we see anything like this.


I was really surprised to see how soft the drawing style was here at the beginning. Yuugi looks extremely different than how I know him from the anime. Of course, from what I've seen of the later manga, the art style grows to look more like the anime after a while, possibly because it's so much easier to draw with straight angular designs than maintaining the rounded ones.

Anyhow, as we can see, our hero is small, slight, and not athletically gifted. At least this classmate of his was nice enough to invite him to basketball, though. Nicer than the people he actually becomes friends with.

Yuugi carries all kinds of solitary activities in his bag, so he digs in for his special puzzle, which hasn't been assembled yet. I assumed that those boxes only contained exposition for the reader, but Yuugi must have said all that out loud. Otherwise, I have to assume Jonouchi knows how to read hieroglyphics, which... well, it's the dumber of the two conclusions. Where would he learn a dead written language like that? School? I don't think so.

Also, it's illustrated here just how different Honda and Jonouchi looked in the beginning. Jonouchi looks like every member from that boyband you secretly obsessed over in middle school.

He's also under the impression that only women should care about their belongings being pilfered, and declares that he's going to teach Yuugi how to be a man. He says he'll give back the puzzle if Yuugi gives it his all to get it back. I don't know what he's expecting Yuugi to do here, considering he is a tiny gamer with no nose. All he CAN do is jump around for it, and isn't that what Jonouchi said he was getting tired of?

Yuugi assumes Jonouchi means he wants a physical fight, but declares he hates violence. He just wants the damn puzzle back again. Honda says there's no chance he'll get it back while Jonouchi peeks into the box wondering what's inside. Yuugi says it's super valuable, but Jonouchi is not buying it.

Enter our shallow love interest, who saves Yuugi's box from the bullies who were tossing it around like a baseball. The description there says that she's hard-headed, but I don't know what to make of that. I suppose the fact that Jonouchi and Honda seem to fear her is some sort of clue, but without any indication as to WHY anyone would fear her, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Anzu is disillusioned with all her male classmates, because the only reason they wanted to let the girls play basketball at the beginning of the chapter was to get a chance to ogle their panties. Surprise, teenage boys are horndogs, including our lovely protagonist, whose imagination is painting the very picture Anzu was trying to avoid. I actually appreciate this, because too often I find myself irritated by dishonest representations by a main male character just so a female character (or multiples) will love him for not being like other guys.

Anzu is well aware here that Yuugi is having a fantasy, and is understandably miffed, but hey, 'tis hormones.

Yuugi shows Anzu the puzzle pieces inside the box, repeating the "riddle" on the box to her: "a thing that can be seen, but you haven't seen it." He also makes the mistake of saying he thinks of the puzzle as a memento of his grandfather, and Anzu thinks his grandfather is dead because of this. That's actually a funny misunderstanding, entertaining really.

Anzu points out that the box has hieroglyphics carved on it, and Yuugi thinks he knows what they mean - the one who puts together the puzzle gets granted a wish. He calls this an "educated guess" but I'm skeptical of that claim. He seems just as skeptical, because he backtracks, compares it to Dragon Ball, and says that maybe it's too fantastic an interpretation.

That sounds more realistic, Yuugi.

Anzu, promising not to tell anyone else about his silly kid dreams, encourages him to keep at it. Yuugi's feelings for her are more clearly unreciprocated here; she is definitely talking to him like she's at his house babysitting him. She even asks him what his wish is with a cheeky, patronizing wink. Though, he returns her wink when he says it's a secret, "sealed forever in an ultra-tight vacuum pack."

Oh, boy, that was... a metaphor. *Is grimacing*

Jonouchi and Honda run into our REAL antagonist while sulking in the hallway, calling Yuugi a nerd and Anzu nosy. As explained by Honda, Ushio is the "demon of morals," who tasks himself with enforcing the school rules for everyone. Jonouchi gives zero fucks, however, apparently not recognizing Ushio for the morality monster he is, even after his inquiry into their bullying habits and declaration that bullying is bad, yo.

Jonouchi yells after Ushio that he's going to fight him someday, which, you know, is what men apparently do, I guess. After that, Honda and Jonouchi are bored, until Jonouchi produces a piece of the puzzle he stole from Yuugi's box earlier. Apparently, throwing it in the pool cures his boredom. Maybe the next time I'm bored I could throw something in a pool. See how that works for me.

It even makes him feel good! He hates that kind of wistful nonsense! Actually, from the backstory placed a little later in the series, you can understand his attitude about it. Right now, however, he just seems like a soul-crushing little shit.

After school, Yuugi is met by Ushio, who asks invasive questions and makes assumptions about Yuugi's bullied status. Fair, considering "Moral Committee" sounds like asshole code for "Group of People Who Butt into Other Peoples' Business Without Cause or Invitation, Making Stupid Judgments on Everyone Involved."

But, that would never fit on the sign.

Ushio declares himself Yuugi's paid bodyguard, though Yuugi is insisting he really doesn't want those services. He runs away thinking Ushio is super weird, which is a generous assessment, if you ask me. I thought pushy and handsy were better words, to be honest.

Anzu meets Yuugi at his game shop/house, saying it's been awhile since she came over to play. She is turning the condescension up to eleven with that line. She screams when she sees Yuugi's grandfather, who is understandably offended. Really, what a way to treat an old man!

Never mind. Say whatever you want to him. Being willing to comment on an underage girl's breasts would practically be an INVITATION for me to snark at you. Anzu doesn't take the sarcasm bait and give out the obvious retort. Fortunately, Sugoroku doesn't continue on that train, opting instead to tell his grandson he'll never solve the Millennium Puzzle. Along with grandpa's creepster face, it has a long history of being a notorious enigma, having been discovered by an Archaeological team, every member of which died mysteriously.

Wait, I distinctly remember that HE was the one who retrieved it from the tomb. Is that my memory being faulty? Is he being a mega troll by not telling Yuugi the real story?

Sugoroku reads the hieroglyphics on the side of the box, claiming it says that the one who puts together the puzzle controls a dark wisdom and strength. This is exciting to Yuugi, whose "educated guess" is nowhere near what his grandfather read. Sugoroku chases Yuugi around the house, trying to get the puzzle so he can sell it. Anzu goes from disturbed to perplexed to exasperated. I feel that, girl. I feel that.

Yuugi falls asleep while putting together the puzzle, but the task seems to be going really well anyway. The next day, a tired Yuugi is invited outside the school building to see something by Ushio. I would have refused the invitation, but, then again, I wouldn't have wanted him getting all handsy with me again, so I guess there's no right choice here.

Broken and bloody, there are Jonouchi and Honda. Did they even put up a fight? Ushio looks fine, not a scratch on him. Did he just have the rest of the committee carry out this violent assault without him, or what?

Yuugi is not amused, and tries to ask Jonouchi and Honda who did it. Ushio claims it's his job to punish bullies like them. Of course, Yuugi is under the same impression as this reader, who thinks viciously kicking the shit out of someone is a bit of a disproportionate punishment to playing keep-away with a stolen toy. But, hey, "Morals Committee," am I right?

Jonouchi apparently didn't understand that Yuugi was defending he and Honda, because he accuses HIM of being behind their beating. While asking why he would ever commission something like this, Yuugi is pushed aside so Ushio can continue whaling on the poor duo.

This is really good writing. I wasn't impressed with Jonouchi and Honda before. They were the kinds of idiot "I'm Only Playing By Being an Irritating Asshole" you rolled your eyes at in high school. They came on with the intention of hiding behind excuses for their cruelty from the beginning, but that was made crystal clear. What was also crystal clear is that they are the traditional bullies that hide their insecurities by attacking those around them that they see exhibiting attributes they most hate in themselves. I can see there was some thought put into these characters and their behavior, and later on, it's even more obvious that Jonouchi in particular is a very solidly built character.

Anyway, Ushio doesn't seem to understand the difference between teasing and bullying, and thinks Yuugi's weird when he calls Jonouchi and Honda his friends. Jonouchi appears to be surprised about this assessment as well.

Maybe he was trying to be meaner than he was.

Ushio demands bodyguard money, because he's a brick wall and knows that Yuugi knows it. He's also got some serious cognitive dissonance going on, dismissing the abuse he laid on Jonouchi, Honda, and now Yuugi as a "warning" rather than bullying. I can't really tell if he's being self-deceptive, or if he's just trying to gaslight our protagonists here.

As Ushio is beating up Yuugi, Jonouchi reflects on the fact that Yuugi was quiet and accepting when he and Honda were hurting him. Meanwhile, Yuugi is thinking about his wish to have true friendship.

Yuugi is a badass. I don't care what anyone says.

Ushio pulls out a knife and promises to cut a bitch if he doesn't get his money. Yuugi thinks he keeps getting more "villainous," but my word for him would be, "pimp."

Yuugi limps home to get some money, but he doesn't have anywhere NEAR enough. He starts working absently on the puzzle, asking himself why, but getting into a rhythm of it anyway. Working on it in his moment of crisis seems to be helping to clear his mind, and he's seeing the solution to the puzzle a lot clearer now.

So very, very close, but a piece is missing. Yuugi begins tearing apart his room looking for it and eventually crumbles into a tantrum about how it won't ever be finished and his wish won't ever come true. Tragedy. Maybe you should be asking your grandfather for some help with your REAL problem now?

In fact, Sugoroku is right behind you, probably drawn into your room by the sounds of your bawling. He tells Yuugi to have more faith and seems like a total ass when he reveals he has the last puzzle piece in his hand. Yuugi is overjoyed and leaps onto his elderly grandfather, who makes sure to clarify that someone came by with the puzzle piece earlier, soaking wet. Sugoroku only identifies this person as Jonouchi in his head, and sneaks some money into Yuugi's bag when he has his back turned so that he can pay Ushio.

Almost makes me forget the part where he commented on a teenager's boobs.

When he says goodnight and makes his exit, he chuckles about how Yuugi is so clever. Apparently solving the puzzle allows one to control shadow games and dispense justice, which, if it were me, I would be nervous about a 16-year-old having that kind of power, but... I guess Sugoroku don't give a fuck.

Yuugi places the last piece in the puzzle.

That shit cray.

Cut to Ushio hanging around outside the school at night. He's there because Yuugi called him up and instructed him to be there at midnight. I thought blonde women were supposed the be the first to die in horror stories? This certainly breaks the mold.

That shit-eating grin is awesome! He looks out of his mind!

Ushio makes some crack about Yuugi wearing a costume, but all I can see is that murderous smile. It's the kind of smile that says he is going to peel off your skin while he tightens a vise on your skull. I would be out of there in a flash. But Ushio only sees yen-signs, so he holds out his hand expectantly.

Yuugi, or rather, the spirit of judgment hiding in the puzzle, says he brought more money than asked for, and he'll play a little game with Ushio for it. Okay, Saw. He tells Ushio that the knife he's hiding is the only prop they'll need for their duel game.

Remember, kids: don't try this at home!

Ushio is wondering if he met with a different Yuugi, which is a delicious piece of dramatic irony for me. They play rock-paper-scissors to decide who goes first, and Yuugi is up to bat. He's actually sweating as he presses the point of the blade into the bill. This is stressful.

At some point in the game, Ushio's hand is shaking and he finds he can't control his hand.

Ushio decides that since he's going to stab his target with all his strength anyway, he may as well change what he's aiming for. He tries to stab Yuugi, but Yuugi jumps out of the way just in time.

Are we certain this isn't a horror? I mean, now, more than ever, Yuugi looks like he's about ready to slice someone open with a chainsaw. It doesn't look like judgment so much as an intent to murder in the first degree.

Ushio is subjected to a penalty game, in which he sees bills raining from the sky. Yuugi tries to impart some wisdom about how greed causes you to only see money, but I don't think Ushio is listening, bro. He seems a little preoccupied. Oh well, Yuugi shrugs it off with a joke about how this actually must be a happy ending for Ushio.

... Yeah.

So, Yuugi comes to school, exhausted like the previous day, knowing that he solved the puzzle, but not really remembering anything after that. Must have just passed out, am I right?

Jonouchi meets Yuugi in the hallway and the two share some awkward banter about how their injuries are. Jonouchi then says that he brought a treasure to school too. He even decided to pose a riddle to Yuugi regarding what it could be. When Yuugi looks down, unable to answer, Jonouchi gives in and says it's their friendship.

Then he runs away, because apparently saying you're friends with someone out loud is embarrassing. He manages to lose a shoe when he's sprinting back to his pumpkin carriage class, and Yuugi chases after him, swinging it around like a lunatic.

So, what did I think of this chapter, overall? I thought it was a really strong start. This shows a fair cast of characters with pretty fun introductions. Not too wild about the clumsy exposition with the puzzle and Anzu. The antagonist was, in my opinion, flat enough that we're not too interested in him, and complex enough that we're reasonably entertained by him and his double speak. The double speak in particular was new and different for a villain. The horror aspects promise an entertaining ride, all in all.

It was also long as hell. I'm looking forward to the chapters after this one, simply because I won't have to spend so much time choosing panels to show. The reviews I do after this promise to be MUCH shorter too.

But, as much as I look forward to their reduced length, I also know some of the content of those chapters, and... well, the strong beginning got me to START reading it, anyway. We'll get to that.

3 comments:

  1. I apologize in advance if I wind up slipping and typing Yami Yugi's real name. I've gotten so used to referring to him that way over the years that it's reflexive. I'll try hard not to make that mistake, though.

    At any rate, I do like the main cast of friends in this series. It always felt like they were a lot better constructed than the casts of later series, especially since there's more to them than just liking trading cards. Granted, I do have a soft spot for the GX manga for being seemingly tied to the OG manga universe as well.

    On the topic of spin-off series, apparently the bully here returns as a character in Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's, where he's a cop. Granted, he's actually not (as much of) an asshole anymore. I wonder if he still sees leaves as money, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I doubt anyone reading this blog isn't aware that his name is Atem by this point. I hadn't read the manga before this point, but I had seen the anime series, and it's pretty much all over the internet. I try to be sensitive to spoilers, but if a series is more than 10 years old...

      I always thought these characters had some wonderfully nuanced relationships that are kind of rare in comics. Yeah, they're friends, but the way they relate to each other through their personalities and how they met creates a unique tinge to all the interpersonal relationships in the series, so I agree wholeheartedly.

      I can't else but laugh that the bully is a cop - strangely appropriate, though I'm surprised he's LESS of an asshole in this position of power. Interesting, veeerry interesting, lol!

      Delete
  2. Lol It's clear you wouldn't like Muten Roshi from Dragon Ball. You are not cultured enough. Also, the manga came first. The Duel Monsters anime (2nd anime adaptation; looslely adapts from chapter 60) looks like the manga because Takahashi changed the artstyle from horror to cool/badass. The original Yugioh anime in 1998 loosely adapta the 1st 59 chapters and looks like the manga's beginnings.

    ReplyDelete